Nursing Home Ministry
The Grace Place "Faithful Friends"
"Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life."~~ Proverbs 16:20
The Nursing Home Ministry started as a result of an interest shown by some of those
in the Seniors Group. A service is held every other Sunday at the Martin Memorial
South Restorative Care Center. Several of the seniors, as well as others in the
congregation participate. Many in the center have an opportunity to sing some of
their favorite hymns and hear from the Word. It is a privilege to minister to those
who are in the autumn of their lives.
The group meets at 2:15 PM for prayer and the
visit is usually from 2:30 to 3:30 PM. We meet in the activities
room where usually 30-40 residents, family, and friends are in attendance.
The informal worship service starts with prayer and lots of favorite songs
with Ray Lucas providing music from the keyboard. During the service a
short Christian devotion is read, followed by special music or singers,
and then a short simple sermon message. The meeting ends with more music
and a closing prayer. A typical Sunday Service is described below.
For more information contact Larry Uber at firstname.lastname@example.org
Details Of A Typical Sunday Service:
- As the residents are being escorted into the activities room, we provide
background music from the keyboard. One song suggestion would be "When the
Saints come Marching In". We try to personally greet each resident.
- We try to have the seating in a circle or semi-circle so there is good eye
contact between the resident and volunteers. Also, some members of our group
position themselves between the residents.
- We open with a prayer after having asked for any special prayer requests from those
attending. It is a good idea to pray for both the people who live in at the home and
the people who work there.
- We continue with several upbeat songs which utilize hand motions and get the residents
involved. We have noticed that they pick up on the lyrics of unfamiliar songs when we sing them
repetitively. The songs this week were:
- What A Mighty God We Serve
- This Is The Day That The Lord Has Made
- This Little Light Of Mine
- Deep & Wide
- If You're Happy And You Know It
- I'm In The Lord's Army
- The Wise Man Built His House Upon The Rock
- Then some special songs are sung solo by some of our group.
- Next there is a special reading or devotional. This day was from Daily Bread,
and was about "Knowing God".
- We then sing several old Hymns with which the residents are pretty familiar:
- The Old Rugged Cross
- Amazing Grace
- In The Garden
- How Great Thou Art
- This is followed by a short sermon which attempts to be relevant to the residents.
In this case it was a short study about Love from 1 Corinthians 13. It ended with a challenge to
go and practice showing love toward their neighbor.
- Then an opportunity was given for the residents to make a commitment to Christ.
- The closing songs were Jesus Loves Me and Come Into My Heart Lord Jesus.
- We ended the service by all joining hands and saying to the person on
either side, "God Loves You and So Do I". This was so they could put love into practice.
- We finished with a closing prayer, and by singing the Lord's Prayer.
- At the end of each service we go to each resident and shake their hand and tell them
we were glad that they were there. We also see if they would like individual prayer.
- After the service is finished in the Activities Room, we go and visit one-on-one with
residents in their rooms who were not able to come to the service. We
have had the opportunity to pray with some residents just before they were called
to Glory. Had we waited for the next visit it would have been too late.
"Is not wisdom found among the aged? Does not long life bring understanding?"~~ Job 12:12
Faithful Friends Nursing Home Ministry
Larry & Sandy Wasserman